Wednesday 15 July 2009

Joy of Snow

[writtenFeb 09]
I went to the mound at Newbold Common on Thursday night after it had snowed. The joy on their faces as they built the snow man was unquestionable, there were sledges everywhere, parents with kids of all ages and sizes, from this high to this tall they were all enjoying themselves. It reminded me of the first time I ever saw snow.

The first time I ever saw snow was on new year’s day in 2001, just after the millennium dome had been closed. My sister and I were the most excited people on the planet morning. We were writing in it, throwing snow balls, sculpting and everything you can imagine doing with snow. I remember catching a bus to meet a friend later that day, it was very slippery as I got off the bus walking next to this woman, I didn’t know her but I excitedly told her with a large grin that I had never seen snow before. She gave me look, shook her head and said, “I don’t know who you are but I’m going to slap you.” ;-)

It really struck me this past week how circumstances beyond our control can trigger positivity in some and negativity at the same time. I would just like to share with you some of my thoughts on the weather related events over the last week. Hopefully show that even in the worst of weather, it is worth looking at the bright side and doing our best to create a positive experience out of it.
It seemed to me that most in the media were quick to criticize the government and our councils for failing to prepare for the heavy snow. The snow brought London to a grinding halt I recall a friend saying to me, what I don't understand is why the London Underground had to be closed. I guess such was the colossal level of snow!
Most schools in the country were closed, most business were also forced to close as staff could not make it in to their premises. Economic analysts estimated that, the stagnation brought about by the heavy snow probably cost the UK economy about £1.2 billion.
Gritting salt reserves were under such high demand and production facilities were working around the clock. Someone else informed me that only after they had finished removing the snow from around the clock could they begin gritting the streets. ;-)

I realize that opinions differed because of differing circumstances and experiences; I know parents were unhappy to be forced into taking annual leave because schools were closed. Some were left stranded, injured and even killed because of these conditions. There was however a story that made me think, we all could and can adopt a more positive attitude even during the most trying times.

I received a call from a friend at the weekend. Her work place in a hospital is usual wrought with disagreement, grudges and generally low levels of satisfaction, people can’t wait to leave the place.
She informed me that she had been at work continuously for just over 3 days. I was shocked and thought I was in for a good moan. She had left for her night duty shift at the hospital on Wednesday night, but no one was able to come to relieve her and the other staff on Thursday morning due to the snow, with some not coming in because schools had been closed so they had stayed home with the kids. So they carried on through the day although short staffed because there is more to do during day. They tried to make the most of the people they had even the receptionist gave a lending hand although due to limited medical knowledge she could only help with tiding the nurse’s equipment!
Despite the amount of work, and tiring long days they got through it by swapping stories with the patients of previous experiences of being snowed in. She told me there was something like buzz about the place by the time they finally managed to get relieved on Saturday morning.

There was something about being together and sharing that experience that had helped the nurses and patients to continue without stresses and strains usually present in such circumstances. It made me think, that for the parent who had to take a day off to look after the kids, instead of anger they could have looked forward to spending time with their children who were probably over the moon for not having to be in school. Sharing, even in the most depressing of experiences can create the bonds and memories we tend seek daily in our lives.
It is a choice, when something irritates or annoys us, we can let it get us down and ruin the day or we can instead shrug it off and move on.

Children can teach us a great lesson in this; their feelings are often based on events as they happen. They are mostly joyful. At times, they may feel negative and this usually happens in a squabble over games. However, as soon as they get distracted with something new, they no longer hold on to their negative emotions. Instead, they are happy once again.
Children are always happy because they find joy in little things. They get excited when they see a butterfly, jump over a puddle. They do not over analyze situations and do not assume the worst in people or situations. They keep things simple.

My message today is;
It can be the cloudiest of days, with rain, sleet or snow but we can still choose to re-connect with our inner 8 year olds. The happier we are the easier it is to cope with challenges the world throws at us every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment